Community organisations in Yarra can apply for one free solar energy system
Expressions of interest are now open for a community organisation in Yarra to receive one free 4kW solar energy system, donated by the Yarra Solar Program.
The program donates 1kW of solar to a local community organisation for every 100kW installed. Thanks to nearly 100 Yarra households for collectively installing over 400kW of solar, there is now one free system up for grabs. Not only are these households saving on their bills with renewable energy, they’re also paying it forward – helping a local community organisation switch to renewable energy.
We invite eligible community organisations to apply by submitting a brief expression of interest by Sunday 7 March 2021. It should take less than 20 minutes to apply!
Organisations need to:
- Be a not-for-profit community organisation that is based in the City of Yarra. For organisations with multiple locations, the site applying for the donated system must be in Yarra.
- Benefit Yarra community members who often experience disadvantage (for example, providing services to people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds or Indigenous people, those who are chronically ill, older, experiencing financial hardship, insecure housing or homeless)
- Own their building or be able to gain landlord approval to install solar panels
- Ideally be the only occupant of the building
- Have a suitable rooftop for solar panels (e.g. limited shading and sound roof condition. (After EOIs are received, the Yarra Energy Foundation will assess applicants’ rooftop suitability)
- Be able to benefit from a 4kW solar panel system or be willing to make a co-contribution to a larger system. (After EOIs are received, the Yarra Energy Foundation and the solar panel supplier will assist in determining which organisations can benefit most from this size system, based on roof size and energy bills).
A selection will be made based on the above criteria, with consideration for where the system can make the most impact. The Yarra Energy Foundation can assist organisations that are not successful with sourcing low-cost solar options.
The Yarra Solar Program is an initiative of Yarra City Council and the Yarra Energy Foundation (YEF). YEF has taken the guesswork out of solar, by selecting a reputable solar installer and negotiating a discounted price on quality solar products. If you’re a resident or business, you too can be part of the next 400kW installed towards a 100% Renewable Yarra.
The Yarra Solar Program is part of the transition to a 100% Renewable Yarra.