Wired for Tomorrow, funded by Yarra City Council, is visionary initiative to develop and deliver knowledge to guide future work in accelerating and replicating all-electric precincts.
The City of Yarra has set an ambitious goal of achieving net-zero emissions across the entire community by 2030, emphasising the urgent need to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. Electrification is a vital method of curbing emissions and reducing energy costs, steering us towards a cleaner and more sustainable future.
YEF’s primary objectives are to inspire community momentum for electrification and establish a comprehensive vision and roadmap for achieving a large-scale, all-electric future. Through this endeavour, YEF aspires to identify the most critical steps and key stakeholders necessary to realise this vision.
Thanks to organisations like Rewiring Australia, spearheaded by Saul Griffith, there is a large increase in community grassroots movements toward an electrified future. For a successful transition to occur, we must harness existing community momentum within Yarra and the realise the full capability of local energy to enable future energy balance.
Our key deliverables include:
- A creative and engaging vision and roadmap for all-electric precincts, designed to inspire and empower communities and stakeholders across Yarra.
- A final report with recommendations for fast-tracking electrification.
Certain activities, such as specific energy advice, extensive data collection, or technical feasibility studies for individual buildings, are not included within this projects scope.
Our Guiding Principles
Our project is guided by key principles, ensuring its success and meaningful impact:
- Relevance to other areas within the City of Yarra.
- Scalability of technologies and solutions.
- Empowerment through knowledge, language, and resources.
- Building on existing precinct work in the Yarra community.
- Support for community leadership and practical action.
- Collaboration with local champions, stakeholders, and Council staff.
- A commitment to sustainability beyond the project’s duration.
- Learning from research and projects beyond the City of Yarra.
- A focus on localisation, vulnerable populations, and resilience.
- Developing and enabling ongoing community engagement for electrification.
To create the vision, YEF have carefully selected a geographic area with an active and engaged community that is favourable to the establishment of an all-electric precinct, considering factors such as existing infrastructure, building diversity, and social inclusivity. This area is the postcode of 3068 and throughout the project YEF and YCC will be actively supporting the existing community group, Electrify 3068, which emerged in the wake of Rewiring Australia and Electrify 2515 initiatives.
Get in Touch
Get in touch with us today for more information or to be a part of our Wired for Tomorrow electrified precinct project.
Lloyd Heathfield – Project Lead